Thursday, April 17, 2008

Writer's Block...Any way of getting over it?

Okay, so I've now had writer's block for two solid months. I lied, sorry, I did write a total of maybe 300 words or so last month. So, not really a total block, but a big one. I've really decided to kind of get out of that by writing about writer's block and how different things help me deal with it and how I've come out of it.

As a writer, some days are better than others. A lot of writer's really say, "write, write, write" and if you get a block, just keep on writing. Well, I've tried that and it just doesn't cut it for me. For some, yes, it may work for you, but everyone is different. Even writer's just follow the flow of their own rules that fit their lifestyle.

So, you are sitting either at your computer, laptop, or have a pen in hand and nothing on the page. What do you do? The answer seems so simple and easy sometimes, but when you try it, it just doesn't help.

Working on a story is tough. A lot of people who aren't writer's don't know this. However, I know readers know this as well. People who read like the complexity of the characters and the intermingled plots, both emotional and physical to and with the main character. Well, for a writer, this complexity is just the beginning of getting blocks.

A lot of people think we are crazy. Yes, I will raise my hand in the air and admit I talk to people who don't exist, but that is when you know you can write and are a writer. But just talking to imaginary characters helps a little.

There are a few things I do that help me with writer's block...or more of "mind block".

1) I listen to music that fits the mood of the scene I'm writing. Hey, it's worth a shot to kick in some needed inspiration. So, if you're writing an action scene, you may be listening to some Linkin Park, Nightwish, or Within Temptation's "The Howling". Other scenes may be romantic, so Josh Groban, Michael Buble, or Celine Dion falls into the playlist. These things help! Just the mood of the music and imagining the scene falling into place each and every moment and movement of the character's can help get you out of a block.

2) Rereading. Some authors don't reread their written things until they are ready to edit. I like to reread the previous moments to catch up on what I've been trying to come across in emotion and imagery.

3) Watching movies, or favorite television shows. I know, sounds strange; nevertheless, it works. Watching anything that helps you with your story or that scene, can inspire you. Who hasn't been inspired to live for the moment from "The Ultimate Gift" or to be a great hero like Bruce Willis in "Die Hard"? Even watching sitcoms helps with dialogue. Maybe you have a character that is like Phoebe from "Friends". Just her witty banter and blonde pervasiveness can really help boost some comedic dialogue into your story.

4) This is the killer one. Just edit. Editing some of your story will get you back into the flow of things. I've heard so many things about editing it's not funny. I've heard, "Don't edit until you're finished", and "Editing is good for you", and "Get rid of your inner editor". Well, that inner editor can leave while you are writing. That's the good thing about getting rid of your inner editor, but when you're in a block, editing is a hard thing to do, but worth it in the end. You will reread things over that you have forgotten and then something sparks in your mind creating an electrical pulse that sends inspiration for that one scene that you don't know how to fix.

5) Final one. Just write. It's a toughy, this one. Yes, I know I mentioned it hasn't worked for me. Although, my story has moved along faster than if I hadn't written a word with a block on my mind. I've gotten the essentials down and will be editing a lot of work later on. I really don't like to write when I have a block, but just writing can get those infernal ideas or scenes out of your mind and you won't have to worry about them until you decide to edit.

Now, there are the things I do to get rid of my block. And no, posting on my new blog doesn't count! I'm writing aren't I? I'm just not writing my story. Well, I hope some things have helped you, if not, I'm sorry. I know these things help me out when I'm stuck and I know others that use these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment