Tuesday, May 19, 2009

1. Be Courageous

A lot of beginning writer's don't like to have their worked judged or to even tell people they are writing a story.

This is a big deal people! You are writing a novel, short story or poetry! Not a lot of people have the guts to say that they are writing a story. Stand up there. Be proud that you're trying something new or doing this to achieve a goal you set one, two, or even ten years ago.

I for one, do not like to show most of my work to anyone. I will show it to people I feel I can trust and give me good feedback. I have not shown most of my work to friends or even family.

I am really preaching this all for myself--we all usually talk about things to help others but realize that we need it for ourselves. (Sorry for that sidenote).

Tell your family you are writing a story. Some may think you're strange or crazy. Some will think it's magnificent that you are trying something that is very difficult: time wise and emotional wise. Share your work when you need feedback with someone close to you.

Quit hiding that manuscript under the mattress or diving at the keyboard when someone enters the room (I need to stop this too).

Another thing for beginning writers that we don't realize is that if we do become published--we're going to have to stand up in front of people to promote the story. We are going to be doing readings. Get into a speech class. Learn to wiggle away those stage fright jitters. Sometimes just an acting class may even help with this because it is more interactive.

Join writing groups. Talk about your story with them. Get the feedback needed. Take the criticism gracefully and then do what you want with it.

Writers are no cowardly lions. We are brave to even let our emotions flow inside a story that becomes so close to our hearts that we don't want to let it all go. Let it go. It's like when a parent watches their child going to a full day of school the first time. It's hard. Tears flow, sniffles start and that child is growing up. At some point even later, they will go to college or get married. You have to let that child go. They have to become their own person and it is the same with the novel. If you don't let it go at some point, it will never grow up to be it's own story.

Be courageous. Stand up to show off your stuff. Don't get cocky, just be proud of what you are doing. Ask for advice. Ask for feedback from close family. One thing I have noticed with fellow writer friends is that those who show loved ones their stories--write more stories. They are getting that support system in tow at an early stage. Unlike me and other writers who have the fear of criticism and aren't that brave to show off work at an early stage. I have noticed that I write less and less the more I don't show anyone my work. I, too, will have to become courageous.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jess. I totally needed this. My last post was just about this! About how I harbor irrational fears about my writing, and not being proud enough to show anyone!

    Thanks for the pep talk. I think I really needed it.

    ReplyDelete