Tuesday, May 26, 2009

2. Be Aware of Your Weaknesses and Do NOT Forgive Them

Sorry, I know I said I would write every couple days on these "Be's" but life got busy.

Anyway, moving on now.

Everyone has a weakness. It's in every person. There's no denying you have a weakness whether it be for caffeine, chocolate, great music that makes you swoon or even just a simple smell like fresh baked goods. It's in fighting the weaknesses that are bad that we want to focus on in writing. There are things that writer's do that don't want to accept and acknowledge they have a weakness in their writing but then wonder why no one wants to read their work because of their "God" complex in writing.

A lot of writer's actually will take a lot of criticism lightly. LISTEN! Take what you can from your critics. LEARN! Some beginning authors--and I do this--will write a story and then have someone critique and after a comment about some kind of grammar or such, will say, "Oh, I wanted it that way." or "It's no big deal."

EVERYONE! IT IS A BIG DEAL! We all have a weakness whether it be something big in writing like regurgitated plots, dialogue, or descriptions. It could be as small as using punctuation incorrectly or adding things that people can't really "say". Such as, "I need to get that from my brother's room although he's sleeping," she tiptoed quietly. These are little mistakes that can really mess up getting accepted by an agent or even a publisher.

Everyone thinks these days that whatever they start to do, any hobby they get into they don't have to learn from mistakes to get better and that they already are the best at what they do.

For example:
I've been trying to learn to sew for years. I actually was almost finished with making this dress for a costume and the day before I was supposed to wear it--I did a fitting and ALL the seams ripped! I cried and cried. I seriously was depressed for a LONG time. I'm barely getting over the fact that I know I did something wrong from the beginning--I measured myself. That's a no-no because you always seem to make yourself smaller than you actually are. I blamed the pattern for not being correct when all along I knew what I did wrong and didn't want to acknowledge that I needed to learn from it. I hadn't sewn anything but blankets since then.

Now though, I have picked up a slew of clothing patterns. Some I have high expectations for and know that I need to practice before making the pieces but I am willing to learn and try things the right way and ask for help when I need it.

That's how it should be for writing. Acknowledge your faults. Don't keep shrugging them over your shoulder like it's nothing to worry about. Things will work out if you listen to your critics and actually use their suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment