Thursday, May 22, 2008

Four Questions From The Q & A With Stephenie Meyer

7. Why are the souls able to live in a perfect society and the humans failed—aren’t the souls dealing with all the human emotions?
Yes. And if you think about it, all of us have human emotions and some of us try really hard to be good people. We don’t always succeed, but we try. And we would never dream of stealing from anyone or hurting anyone or doing anything bad. Then there are other human beings who have the exact same emotions as us, and they don’t mind strapping a bomb to themselves and blowing up a crowded square. Humans are capable of an amazing range. The souls aren’t the same—they don’t have that range. They really can’t be anything but kind. So they have the emotions, but like those of us who try to be good people, they’re quite able to handle them, and that’s why their society works so much better than ours.

8. On page 218, please say it is not a coincidence; Jeb says he hears a lot of Jims and Pams. Please say it is because you love The Office.
Yes. That was absolutely an Office reference. And I’m really glad people got it.

9. Stephenie darling, how is Ian completely able to look past Melanie’s body and fall in love with the worm in the back of her head?
That was kind of the magic of the story for me. I knew people were going to accept her after a while. But when Ian started to fall in love with her, it made the experience. That’s why I finished the book I think, because I was so intrigued with this character who could do that. Who could care more about what somebody said and did rather than what they looked like or who they were. He was amazing to me and so, he was able to do that because that is who he is as a person. He takes people for what they really are and there aren’t very many people who can do that, that’s why I love him.

10. Will there be a sequel to The Host?
This is one of those probably questions. It’s funny because I’ve been working so much on my other stories and I’ve been editing forever, and just thinking in the Forks world. That’s where I’ve been mentally. And so, in these last couple weeks, answering Host questions and going through the book again and again, I’m starting to get excited about the sequels which are kind of cool. I have outlines; I have the prologue written for the second one and the epilogue written to the third; so I’ve got the frame. And I imagine eventually that I’ll get to that. It might take me a while, so I don’t want to make any guarantees, right now as soon as I get done with this summer, what I want to do is just take a year and just write again. No publicity, none of that, just sit down and write for a whole year. Which sounds like an incredible luxury to me. So, we’ll see which books come out of that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment