Monday, June 15, 2015

Monday Mayhem this Week

My week is uber busy.  My oldest has a birthday party this week I have to prep, and which part of includes a scavenger hunt as part of the festivities.

It will be all good though.  I mean, even though I haven't written anything for my new story yet, I still have the physics books to look through, and other books to just relax and read for now.

Today though, I wanted to talk about the mayhem in my life and why I have a love/hate relationship with it.

For the past three years, I have been doing online school through BYU-Idaho.  Sadly, it's only been one or two classes per semester.  This makes for getting a degree very long winded.  I already have an Associates Degree, but it's something that will get me nowhere since it's in General Academics.  However, I love school.  I really do.  But it's so much harder online than it is actually going to a lecture class for me.  In my online classes, you have to read the lectures and they aren't the most fun things to read most days.  Plus, with the past two years, I have been doing one class a semester because of my feisty child.  As an infant, she wouldn't sleep very well unless she was held.  Now as a toddler, she is better at sleeping, but the homework load is still just as big and keeps me up all night instead of on the computer every second of every day.  Because of this crazy mayhem, I decided I'm dropping my schooling for now.  I wish I could finish, I really do.  I really recommend you finish your degrees!  But for now, I am a mom wanting to become a published author some day.  And being a mom gives me the greatest mayhem ever--my children.

So, that was my hate side relationship of mayhem in my life.  Online schooling: really cool, great for stay at home moms, yet takes twice as much time as originally planned.

My love side relationship of mayhem in my life is my family.  I love spending time with my family.  I'm trying to get to know my kids again since the online schooling made it so that I could count on one hand things I actually remember doing with the kids while I was in school for the past couple semesters.

I really do love my family and they come first in my life.  My days are filled with diaper changes, floors covered in toys of all kinds, and food crumbs all over the house.  It took me a while, but I'm more okay with having a messy house now than I was a year ago.  I used to think that my living room needed to stay clean all day long to impress those that may stop by.  Now I don't care what people think of me when they stop by and I have crayons, toy animals, puzzle pieces, and superheroes scattered around on the floor.  It makes me happy to see my children be happy.  And even though their mayhem is the kind that I love, it can still drive me crazy.  But it's the kind of crazy I don't try to second guess whereas school was.

To make things easier in my life, I am going to drop online schooling and be a mom wanting to be a published author.  I will write when I can, I will blog still, and I will read.

So, make sure when you are writing, to put the first things first in your life.  If you have a family, stop typing and go attend to them.  Get to know them.  Remember that all the actual real-life experience you have helps you give that to your reader later on.  The feelings and reactions to the mayhem in our lives, both the good and bad mayhem, make you a better writer when you tap into it.

Get out there, get reading, and get writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment